Trinity River Corridor
Floating along the Trinity River one becomes witness to the flora, fauna, and geology of the Trinity River Corridor. The canyons reverberate with it's history.
New Book: Traveling the Trinity Highway by Ben Bennion and Jerry Rohde, with Robin Stocum, photographer. Available for online purchase.
Other Nearby Activities
Hiking Rock Climbing Biking Horeseback Riding Fishing Lake Recreation Golf Driving Tours Museums
Weather and River Flows
Link to local weather forcast:
Trinity River Area
Cedar Flat Flow guage now online. This is the flow for most whitewater runs on the Trinity River.
Other River Flows, Temperatures, and Precipitation
Reliable Year-Around Flows--Every Year
Flows in the popular whitewater sections of the Trinity come from a mix of dam releases and tributary inflow.
The Pigeon Point Run is the uppermost of these whitewater runs, and is 40 miles downriver from the Dam.
In this 40 mile section there are some major tributaries such as Canyon Creek, and The North Fork Trinity.
The dam release schedule varies throughout the year, but does not have
the diurnal fluctuations that are seen on some rivers. During the summer there are reliable flows in the
river for rafting.
When our company began taking customers down the river in 1988, California was in the middle of a drought,
and the minimum summertime flow was only 2/3 of the current summertime minimum. Dave, paddling his kayak,
lead customers who paddled small, 10', rafts. Dave gave descriptions of routes through rapids to the
rafters, and provided safety. We were the only Trinity-County based rafting company at that time. In 1991,
the dam releases were increased to provide more suitable temperature for the Salmon and Steelhead fisheries.
With the increased flows, larger rafts could negotiate the rapids, and the popularity of rafting on the Trinity
increased exponentially. These fish-friendly flows were increased in 2000 by the Secretary of Interior's
Record of Decision, giving the Trinity exceptional whitewater rafting.
Trinity River Rafting operates under permit from the Shasta-Trinity and Klamath National Forests. We are equal opportunity service providers.
- Trinity County Chamber of Commerce
- Willow Creek Chamber of Commerce. Willow Creek is 35 miles west of Big Flat, closer to the coast, on Hwy 299.
- Trinity River Restoration Program An excellent ecosystem-based fishery restoration program on the Trinity River. This program the reason we have great rafting flows throughout the year, and exciting higher-water flows in the spring and early summer. Trinity River Rafting owners, Dave and Dana, are both appointed by the Secretary of the Interior to a restoration program stakeholders advisory group.
- TrinityCam, nearby webcam, and lots of local info.
- Swimming Holes of the Shasta-Trinity"Paradise" is one mile from the Pigeon Point put in. "North Trinity" is further up the road at the Hobo Gulch Trail. "Canyon Creek" is off the Canyon Creek trail, and "Virgin Creek" is a tributary of the New River above Denny.
- California Creeks A resource for inflatable kayakers.
- Self Contained in Your Inflatable Kayak, by Ken Fowler A CD guidebook for inflatable kayakers and other paddlers. Includes 60 trips in California and Southern Oregon. Available for online purchase.
- California Whitewater Rafting is a comprehensive river description site with listings of commercial rafting companies and information on California rivers.
"Screams in the Night" San Francisco Chronicle, 1-24-99.
- A National Geographic Site for Rafters
- For river gear, Northwest River Supplies is fairly complete and reasonably priced. NRS is one of our major sources of equipment, and we use their MaverIK ITM Inflatable Kayaks.
- Friends of the Trinity River
- Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- Klamath National Forest
National Register of Historic Places, by the Put In of the Pigeon Point Run.
- Simms Flat History Trail
by the Put In for the Upper Sacramento Run.
- We Ski II A recreational activities club based in Redding, California.
- Crystal Phoenix Gallery Weaverville has many great Art Galleries including the Crystal Phoenix. Online Store.
- Redding/Mt. Shasta Adventures and Entertainment
This site created and maintained with assistance by Auriver Consultants. Last updated 7-16-05. webmaster